Election 2018: Club Treasurer
  • xczimixczimi

Club Treasurer

• Manages finances of the organization;
    • Administrates fiscal matters of the organization;
    • Provides annual budget to the board for members' approval;
    • Provides financial updates to the board of directors;
    • Ensures development and board review of financial policies and procedures.
    • Responsible for filing of the society’s tax filing

Eligible candidates may nominate themselves here, or they can accept a nomination brought forward by another person who is a member in good standing of the General Membership.

It is important to note that only official, dues-paying members of the Southsiders can nominate a candidate. To assist with verification purposes, persons nominating others must self-identify as a member in good standing. The proposed candidate must also accept the nomination in writing on the discussion forum.

It is recommended that candidates provide a brief statement within the appropriate discussion thread to provide the General Membership with a sense of their personal background, experience and expertise, particularly as those things relate to the board position in question.

Nominees have the right to decline their nomination by a third party, or withdraw their nomination at any time prior to the Annual General Meeting.

Nominees are only permitted to stand as a candidate for a maximum of one role on the executive board (Treasurer, Secretary, Ombudsman or Member at large).

The final deadline for nominations is 11:00 am on December 8th, 2017.

Post edited by xczimi at 2017-11-23 19:56:36
    AKA Peter spillt his beer - President / Secretary / Director of Away Travel / ISC rep / IT Crowd Committee - member #124 - BC Place Section 251 Row F 101 --- http://www.xczimi.com
  • I’d like to nominate Member #83 Greg Petrie for the role of Treasurer.

His extensive accounting background will prove an asset to the Board and the membership in 2018. He’s been an active volunteer for years, and more specifically, was of great help to Darcie and I during this past year. He’d make an excellent addition to the Board.

• Aaryn Vivian, Member #1582 in good standing
    Post edited by aarynvivian at 2017-12-07 00:31:44
    Professional hair-twirler & chair spinner. Grilled cheese aficionado. Lover of sports and all things Sunday Funday.

Twitter: @aarynvivian
    VSS Member # 1582
  • WatchmenWatchmen

Thanks Aaryn, but I'm going to decline as I've accepted the nomination for ombudsperson instead.

Greg

• I would like to nominate Catherine Alderson, member#1984 for treasurer. She has been involved and active with the Southsiders for many years and would bring a wealth of experience to the board.

Member #1697

(Edited to add member number)

Post edited by JohnnieMonster at 2017-12-07 15:45:34
  • td04td04

I'd like to nominate the incumbent treasurer, Dylan Callow. He is a chartered account with experience with being on boards and budgeting etc. He also has access to a large amount of knowledge regarding not for profit accounting, finance, and operations from his colleagues at work.

• Trevor Doyle (Member in good standing, Member # 147)
    Post edited by td04 at 2017-12-07 14:11:38
  • I'll second Catherine Alderson's (@Cat_eh) nomination for Treasurer.

I've known Cat for over half my life, she has extensive Admin / Finance experience and I think she would make an awesome addition to the Board.

Professional hair-twirler & chair spinner. Grilled cheese aficionado. Lover of sports and all things Sunday Funday.

Twitter: @aarynvivian
    VSS Member # 1582
  • DCallowDCallow

td04 said: I'd like to nominate the incumbent treasurer, Dylan Callow. He is a chartered account with experience with being on boards and budgeting etc. He also has access to a large amount of knowledge regarding not for profit accounting, finance, and operations from his colleagues at work.

Thanks Trevor, I accept the nomination.

I have been a Southsiders member (#207) since the start of the MLS era (i.e. 2011), however last year was my first very active volunteer year as the Southsiders Treasurer, as well as participating where I could in events, membership and merch tables. I have enjoyed going on away trips as well as being on the Southsiders rec team in the past.

It was an honour being the Treasurer last season. It was a pretty successful year for the Southsiders in terms of running events (16! wow thanks Aaryn), tifo (thanks to Darcie and co. for some wonderful displays), away tickets (Peter C has been a rockstar at this) and the release of the new "Dynamite Area" (or general admission area) with 3 different payment plans. With these came a variety of different challenges in the reimbursement, budgeting, and accounting sides, and it has been a wonderful learning experience filled with personal growth.

A bit about me: I am a CPA, CA in public practice with KPMG, specializing in indirect tax (mostly GST/HST and PST). I also was in the audit group with KPMG for 4 years prior to working in indirect tax. I also was an executive and elected as board member of the CUS (Commerce Student Council at UBC), and managed a portfolio of services with funding of $250,000, and worked on CUS budgets ranging in the 1.2-1.4M range. I have extensive history with budgeting, executive boards, and accounting/tax.

Some of my goals/tasks for 2018 season:

1. Assisting with away travel and the new GA "dynamite area", and the issues that arise with payments, accounting, and record keeping.

2. Look at the feasibility of transferring to a new accounting system as the one we currently have is too needlessly complicated for our society.

3. Work on measuring our success with different merchandise items we have been releasing over the last couple of years to identify what our members are buying and combine that with survey metrics/comments.

4. Helping out more with the merchandise and membership table on a consistent basis and gathering/engaging volunteers to assist. I was pretty active helping out at the start of the season so hope to continue that level of involvement throughout the season.

5. Providing more metrics/financial updates to our board throughout the season.

6. Establishing some more accounting policies and controls over our inventory.

7. Hopefully go to Hawaii and see the Whitecaps play in preseason! :)

Post edited by DCallow at 2017-12-07 15:53:09
  • cat_ehcat_eh

Hello friends. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am pleased to accept the nomination for Treasurer on the 2018 board. Apologies to anyone waiting in suspense for my acceptance/rejection of the offer. I wanted to take the time to think it through and be 100% that I would be able to honour the commitment.

I look forward to giving back to the Southside community in a new way, aside from drinking beer in great company, and making tifo. You may remember me from painting such tifos as, the log drivers waltz, Cascadia Douglas firs, or sewing miles and miles of fabric together for the first rigging attempt. I’ve also helped with the occasional setup, tear down, and even contributed some literal blood to the blood, sweat, and tears of tifo creation last week (don’t worry – all the flags are in the process of getting washed).

Experience:

The fancy letters at the end of my name are not accounting related, but they are detailed oriented. Catherine Alderson, MLIS. A Masters of Library and Information Science adds to my unique skill set -- being great at data, research, and systems while being able to distill information down in order to communicate in a clear, effective manner. Communicating technical information to a non-technical audience is my specialty. This will aid the board in staying transparent in financial matters. I am also great with computers, as well as project and event management. Organizing things is what I do - personally and professionally.

Currently employed at a landscaping company. My duties include everything from IT to Bookkeeping. I have helped manage budgets from $10 to $1,000,000. Everything from craft supplies for a scout meeting to handling large volumes of cash during an event.

Specific Contributions:

• Librarian brain

• Practical cash handling skills

• Aptitude for record keeping

• Real-world book keeping experience

Past board/volunteer experience:

• Fan Expo Vancouver – Guest Handler

• Special Libraries Association Western Canada Chapter – Employment Chair

• Special Libraries Association Western University Student Chapter – President

• Canadian Libraries Association Western University Student Chapter - President

• Scouts Canada – 15th Capilano Registrar, “Mardi Gras” Camp Chair, Beaver Scout Leader

• North Vancouver Outdoor School Alumni Association – Member at Large

Thank you for reading all the way to the bottom. :)

Catherine Alderson

Member #1984

• xczimixczimi

Nominations closed

AKA Peter spillt his beer - President / Secretary / Director of Away Travel / ISC rep / IT Crowd Committee - member #124 - BC Place Section 251 Row F 101 --- http://www.xczimi.com
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion