Election 2017: Ombudsman
  • xczimixczimi

Ombudsman

• Independent, non-voting board member;
    • Provides the General Membership with fiscal and administrative oversight of the Executive Board's activities;
    • Provides counsel to the Executive Board on matters of member discipline, conflict of interest and other complex member issues;
    • Represents the interests of the General Membership and individual members to the Executive Board through advocacy and consultation.

Eligible candidates may nominate themselves here, or they can accept a nomination brought forward by another person who is a member in good standing of the General Membership.

It is important to note that only official, dues-paying members of the Southsiders can nominate a candidate. To assist with verification purposes, persons nominating others must self-identify as a member in good standing. The proposed candidate must also accept the nomination in writing on the discussion forum.

It is recommended that candidates provide a brief statement within the appropriate discussion thread to provide the General Membership with a sense of their personal background, experience and expertise, particularly as those things relate to the board position in question.

Nominees have the right to decline their nomination by a third party, or withdraw their nomination at any time prior to the Annual General Meeting.

Nominees are only permitted to stand as a candidate for a maximum of one role on the executive board (Treasurer, Secretary, Ombudsman or Member at large).

The final deadline for nominations is 3:00 pm on December 9th, 2016.

Post edited by xczimi at 2016-11-26 00:03:00
    AKA Peter spillt his beer - President / Secretary / Director of Away Travel / ISC rep / IT Crowd Committee - member #124 - BC Place Section 251 Row F 101 --- http://www.xczimi.com
  • I wish to double-dog-dare / nominate Ryan Burns to return to this important role if he is so inclined. He has been a tremendous advocate for our members over the past year and his perspective was quite helpful to the board on many important issues.

Member #11

E-mail: media@vancouversouthsiders.ca
    Twitter: @johnniemonster
  • Westsider13Westsider13

Well now, who can resist a double-dog dare? Johnnie, thank you for the nomination, I graciously accept it.

I've quite enjoyed serving as Southsiders Ombudsman this past season, and look forward to the opportunity to do so again in 2017. Being involved directly the 'board' side of our supporters' group as the members' liaison has afforded me the opportunity to not only advocate on behalf of members' interests but also gain an appreciation for the effort that administrating and encouraging our group the board members put forward, and also be intimately engaged in issues that arise and opportunities to move our group's interests forward to greater things.

I respect the opportunity to represent the membership in the capacity of Ombudsman, bringing its interests forward into board discussions and contributing my own perspectives as part of both groups to what I have found to be positive and respectful discourse. It is a rewarding experience, in what I believe to be an important role.

Again, with thanks, I graciously accept the nomination.

#974 - Sec. 251 Row 109
    Former Southsiders' Ombudsman, 2016 edition.
    The best kicks are free.
  • SubhedgehogSubhedgehog

For official purposes, I'll second the nomination. :)

Paul, VSS Member #557, Section 252 behind the drum
  • I am offering myself a triple dog dare to do this. I have been a member for the past three years (and currently a member in good standing) and been in the section for four. I feel an increasing desire to be part of the organization that does so much for the game. After looking through the options for the board, I feel I am best suited for the position of ombudsman. So i throw my name in here to stand as a candidate. I come with many years of non-profit experience having led an organization on the North Shore. Most importantly, I feel I bring excellent communications skills, a very diplomatic approach, a passion for our group - the sport - and our future. I have gotten to know many Southsiders recently and feel I can help be that liaison between the executive and our membership. I also wear crazy outfits so I am easy for members to locate and talk to :-)

Andrew Van Eden

Section 253, down low "As a member it is always good to be standing"

Post edited by Bud212 at 2016-12-08 11:53:29
    Andrew Van Eden
    Ombudsman // #1535
    Section 253, down low
    As a member, it is good to be standing
  • I second the nomination of Andrew Van Eden

Membership number: 580

a::seyem

The Jumbotron hero.

www.facebook.com/lukenative
  • Westsider13Westsider13

Given Andrew has declared his self-nomination, and in the overall best interests of the group to have fresh voices, ideas and perspectives, I hereby withdraw my intention to stand for Ombudsman and decline nomination.

A note of appreciation to Johnnie for putting my name forward initially.

I support the nomination of Andrew, feel he'll bring positive attributes to the position.

Post edited by Westsider13 at 2016-12-08 16:27:15
    #974 - Sec. 251 Row 109
    The best kicks are free.
  • chauchi09chauchi09

I think its healthy to have contested positions for the membership to vote on. I ask you to reconsider.

Member #203 - Charitable Causes Committee - @chauchi09 - Sec 251 Row J 3-4
  • Westsider13Westsider13

@chauchi09 - In normal course, I agree with you. I will be lending my volunteer skills in other areas, contributing in other ways next season instead.

#974 - Sec. 251 Row 109
    The best kicks are free.
  • We want a contest!

The Jumbotron hero.

www.facebook.com/lukenative
  • Then I hereby nominate past-Ombudsperson Scott Misfeldt and Man of Sound Luke Dandurand for the position of Ombudsperson.

I'm serious!

Post edited by JohnnieMonster at 2016-12-09 12:39:17
    Member #11

E-mail: media@vancouversouthsiders.ca
    Twitter: @johnniemonster
  • chauchi09chauchi09

Thank you Johnnie, but I'll decline the nomination. I've got two young boys who I coach in soccer and that eats up a lot of my time. I found it difficult to make myself free to get to board meetings, the last year I was Ombudsman. Yes, I'm one of those horrible volunteer coaches who is single handily ruining Canadian soccer and the reason why we don't get to the World Cup. Sorry rant over.

I held the position of Ombudsman for three years. Someone else should be doing the role now. I found it to be a very rewarding and an interesting role. It was fun being on the "inside" of Board activities. It's an easy way to get involved and you don't need any special skills, as you do with Treasurer for example. In fact, it was in this role that past President Brett Bird got his feet wet.

If you've made it this far through my post, well done, and please consider running for any of the positions. Involvement and engagement is so important for this group. There are no hard feelings if you put your name forward for a position that only has one nominee. We all want what's best for the group and contested positions help with that engagement.

Cheers.

Member #203 - Charitable Causes Committee - @chauchi09 - Sec 251 Row J 3-4
  • xczimixczimi

Nominations closed

AKA Peter spillt his beer - President / Secretary / Director of Away Travel / ISC rep / IT Crowd Committee - member #124 - BC Place Section 251 Row F 101 --- http://www.xczimi.com
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion